Friday, February 19, 2010

Buttermilk Meatballs Bomb

I'm not sure exactly where things went awry with yesterday's recipe--Mildred Knopf's Buttermilk Meatballs from the last post. The sauce was rather "boozy" tasting, for lack of a better word.

Don't get me wrong, I like a glass of red wine as much as the next guy, but in my meatballs? I was sort of afraid to feed it to the under-21 bunch in the house.

Maybe the taste was so strong because I used a malbec wine instead of a dry sherry. Maybe I didn't let the sauce cook long enough (I was pressed for time, needing to drive a daughter and friends to the movies). I forgot to add the paprika, but I think that may be more for color than for taste.

The good news is that it tasted a whole lot better the second day. When re-heating for lunch, I added a pinch of sugar, which I figured was lacking from not having used sherry, and some skim milk for moistening and dilution. That seems to have done the trick.

Next time, though, I'm giving Brian's Meatballs a try. See yesterday's comments section for the scoop.

Have you ever had a recipe turn out not quite the way you expected?

No comments:

Post a Comment