Friday, February 26, 2010

I'm Gonna Be Rich...or Disappointed

Much to the chagrin of my children, when I find a mistake on a receipt, I get my money back...before I even leave the store. I'll do it for a few bucks, a dollar, even a lousy nickel...it doesn't matter.

I march myself, sometimes leaving a mortified preteen a bazillion feet behind me, right on up to the customer service desk (or the register where I made my purchase) and point out the mistake. Although I do this with all the politeness I can muster, I do not think these stores or employees (or my kids) much like me.

Well, I don't give a hoot. Money is money...or maybe I'm just plain crazy.

Keep in mind that every store has a different price-guarantee policy and every employee of every store seems to handle things differently. More often than not I get the price difference refunded. Occasionally, I'll get the item free (this is rare, but it does happen). If it's my mistake, I either return the item or keep it and chalk it up to a learning-to-remember-better experience.

I do, however, have to warn you that my mistakes are few and far between. After being home with my family surviving on one income for so long, I am slow approaching expert level at bargain shopping. I can pretty much remember the price of ANYTHING. (Such talent, I know.)

That said, I thought it would be fun and educational to keep track of how much these mistakes can add up to...just how much money can be saved in a single year.

Here's where we stand today, February 26th, 2010 (Day 1): $2.58. I'll post updates periodically.

What's your guesstimate on the one-year total? Do you keep close track of your purchases, or could you care less?

4 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed too with money-related errors or over-charges. Weekly, I like to think I save anywhere from $2 to $20 by paying close attention.
    This was a record week from a low $2.50 Target error to 2 $25 magazine renewals showing up on my credit card to a $50 car dealer repair rebate (mfr rebate proved valid despite dealer claim). The recession appears to have brought out the worst in retailer errors!
    I proudly boast to my husband (sometimes nightly) about my savings, but it is just one of those unappreciated traits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Cindy! That is fantastic! I didn't even think to include those pesky renewal charges, which I also get, but now I will. Thanks for the extra tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do exactly the same Jackie! I went back for the 22¢ I was overcharged last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerensa-It's good to know I'm not alone. Join me in tracking it!

    ReplyDelete