Thursday, February 25, 2010

Those Forwarded Personal Emails

It's like nobody wants to read them.

"Mom, I'm about THIS close," my daughter says as she shows me her thumb and forefinger about a half inch apart, "to marking you as spam."

"You wouldn't!" I say, shocked and rather offended.

"I would." I think she means it.

Ms. Smarty Pants. Forget soap in the mouth, I think to myself, how about a nice run through the washing machine?

After hundreds, OK maybe thousands, of forwards sent his way, my husband came home from work one day, put his foot down and said, "Enough with the forwards already," in his I'm-trying-really-hard-to-be-kind voice. Nice guy and all, but man he could use a sedative.

My sister-in-law...now, she was smart. She caught it right away, nipped things in the bud, as she politely asked me to remove her from my forward list--after the very first one!

Still, I remain strong. I continue to pass on emailed inspiration to those not brave enough to tell me to stop. And even then, I press on...ignoring my very own sister, my own flesh and blood, when she tells me I'm cursing her forever because she doesn't know 10 people to pass the stinkin' chain mails on to.

It's like a sickness, an addiction really, that they just don't have a name for yet.

I'm not blaming, I'm just saying, it's my friend Mary. I do so love Mary (for the benefit of Mary, who may very well be reading this). She sends me them, I read them, and then feel compelled to pass them along. They're cute (especially the animal ones)...I just can't help it.

The intentions are good. I always imagine the recipient smiling (as I do when I get them) when they see my name and insightful message in their in box; but, in reality, they are... flinching...or sighing...or ignoring...or deleting. Yet I refuse to see it.

I've heard of other people with the forwarding addiction going so far as to send the messages with the "FWD" part removed to trick people into opening them. There's no other way around it. I'm going to have to get sneaky.

Now, I'm no expert at human relations, but it seems people might get a bit angry (angrier) with me.

How do you feel about forwards? Are you a fan...or do you simply get annoyed by them?

16 comments:

  1. A couple of related links you might appreciate...
    - http://stopforwarding.com/
    - http://nextround.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/forwardemail_flowchart1.jpg

    I'm in the get's annoyed category :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brian. I may have to face the facts and check out those links! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the flow chart, Brian! I think I can lick this thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats wht there is a delete button :):)

    What the heck were you doing up at 4:00am??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, a wise one, huh? :) Yes, delete buttons are wonderful. To answer your question, I was not really up at 4:00 am. I scheduled it to post then...I've been trying to work a little ahead of schedule...and I figured if I got it out early then people could see it before work, if they chose to do so (and my clock on my computer is about 2-3 hours off, so I don't think the post really appeared until 6:30 or 7:00 this morning). Not such a short answer, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's guilt and wishing, that is why I foreward. I feel guilty if I don't pass it on, especially those religious ones. They put that one liner in at the end to put you on a guilt trip if you don't foreward it. "Well, you have no problem sending the dirty Jokes". (must be catholics they are good at the guilt thing).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, didn' finish the previous blog before I accidentally sent it.
    There are the forewards that tell you to make a wish and send it and the wish will come true. Well if you lived next to my neighbor you would keep sending, hoping that one day that wish would come true. You would wake up one morning and there it would be, that FOR SALE sign that you have longed for for soooo many years. So I will keep forewarding, wishing and praying to see that sign in the neighbors yard. When you finally quit hearing from me, hopefully it will be because the wish came true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary,
    Yes, there's always hope involved, too...what if..I so wish...it's cute...it's funny, etc. Being of Catholic "descent," I can vouch for the guilt thing. Seriously, though, we cannot be the only ones....

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! I will make my wishes for you, Mary. I know you could write a book no one would believe about that neighbor! You, see, forwarders need a break, to be cut a little slack. But there is still no excuse for me torturing my own sister. God help me. I'll take HER off my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Take a poll of the bunco girls I know Joleen and Johanna foreward. I also know Kathryn does not. She deletes so I don't send to her anymore unless it is a really good one,. I never really thought about it till now. Maybe everybody deletes but us. That would be quite embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admit I'm an email forwarder too... I try to send only the best ones on... but I know I'm guilty. Those rare "thank you's" feed my addition too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cindy--the codependency thing is dangerous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must say that I do use the delete button quite frequently ... after I take a quick glance at it. If it looks like it is going to be all mushy, and not very funny, down it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kerensa,
    So all those nice "you're my friend" ones I've sent you...gone, huh? :) At least you have a logical approach to it all, and probably an uncrowded in box to show for it! I'm glad to see you made it over to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great chance win Lots of Money by joining shop play win Sweepstakes. You can join these giveaway to win $250 Million.

    ReplyDelete