Saturday, February 13, 2010

Only the Best Sugar Cookies for My Valentines

In case you're wondering what I'm doing today (the day before Valentine's Day), besides watching my daughter's indoor soccer game, I'm baking cookies. Not just any cookies.  Classic Sugar Cookies from the Southern Living Incredible Cookies cookbook with a simple glaze, in heart shapes, of course.

Although I'm so-not-an-expert baker, believe me when I say that I've tried a lot of sugar cookie recipes in my day and this one is the best. It's a true favorite around our house--even my 13-year-old son likes the recipe and he claims he doesn't even like sugar cookies. Over and over again we turn to this--birthdays, Valentine's Day, Halloween, various parties, etc....

There's a reason these cookies are called classic. They're perfect as they are. They're easy. They withstand the test of time. There isn't a need in the world to mess with them.

Enough said. Here's the recipe....

CLASSIC SUGAR COOKIES

1 cup butter or margarine, softened (I've never used margarine, only butter)
1 cup sugar
1 lg. egg
1 t. vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 t. salt

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg and vanilla, beating well. Gradually add flour and salt, beating until blended. Divide dough in half; cover and chill 1 hour.

Roll each portion of dough to 1/4" thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with desired cookie cutters. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. (Oh, oops. That's why my cookies are a little tough to get off the sheets. I do not know if I've ever greased the sheets. I'll try that today.)

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are lightly browned. Cool cookies 1 minute on baking sheets; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

GLAZE

1 (16-oz.)  pkg. powdered sugar
6 T warm water
Liquid food coloring, optional

Stir together powdered sugar and warm water using a wire whisk. Divide and tint with food coloring, if desired; place in shallow bowls for ease in dipping cookies. Yield: 1-1/3 cups. (I rest the dipped cookies on a wire rack and wait for them to dry there. They make a drippy mess, but are so worth it.)

If you prefer an prettier online version of the recipe, try one of these links:

myrecipes.com      (and search for the recipe by name)
or
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1933327

Do you have a favorite treat you like to make for Valentine's Day? Do you have a fun tradition you'd like to share? I'd love to hear how you liked this recipe.

Happy baking and Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Sugar cookies are Josh's favorite and I've yet to find a good recipe. Can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do hope you like this one, Kerry. Let us know how it turns out! Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete