Saturday, February 27, 2010

Surviving Without Checks

I ran out of checks several months ago. You know...the personal paper things that you physically tear from a tangible checkbook.

I haven't replaced them since.

Why, you ask? Two reasons, really.

1. I'm hypothosizing that they are unnecessary and, thus, are a deletable expense.

2. I wanted to see if I could really survive without them (gotta put a little spice in my life).

So far so good. Sure, there have been times when I really wished I'd had some checks...like at Christmas time, when I wanted to send my out-of-state nieces and nephews a gift. I knew sending cash was not smart and, to me, sending gift cards seemed equally risky. I wound up ordering them books from Barnes & Noble, because, hey, books are always good gifts and they were shipped free.

When the Girls Scouts came around seeking payment for their cookies, I cursed myself for not being better prepared. In one case, I put off the delivery, because I had no cash on hand. (Oh, why don't they take credit and debit cards, I found myself wishing, along with, why doesn't my family stay away from the cash in my wallet?) In another case, my husband accepted the baked goods with a promise that I'd run to the bank for cash and deliver to the girls later (which I did, by the way...you can't cheat good little samaritans, especially when they live next door).

So, how have I been handling all my other payments? On-line banking. It really is so convenient...the bank writes the checks for you, stuffs them in envelopes, and picks up the expense to mail them. My service is free, but I can imagine it would still be cost effective, even paying a small monthly charge.

For all other transactions, I pay cash or use my debit or credit card. It isn't all that bad being checkless. I have a friend who finds herself in the same situation and she's doing fine, too.

My banker just let me know that I am entitled to free checks with my account, but, you know, I think I'm going to pass. I'll let you know how things turn out....

How about you? Do you write many checks nowadays? Could you survive without them?

2 comments:

  1. I do almost everything via the computer now. It is so much easier, cheaper, and you don't have to worry about the mail service losing it in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerensa,
    I agree...long ago I used to mail our house payment and no matter when I sent it, it always seemed to get there late...I can't tell you how much in late payments I paid, not to mention all the phone calls to try to rectify the situation. Either the mail was very unreliable and slow or the mortgage company was trying to earn a little extra money in late fees. Never had a problem with paying online.

    ReplyDelete